So hard to believe our boy is three months old! In some ways, it feels like he's been here forever; in others, like he just arrived! We finally are starting to come up for air a bit, and if the weather would ever warm up, we might even get out of the house.
At three months, Ford:
Weighs about 17 pounds (I weighed him at home the other day). The boy LOVES meal time.
Is at least 24 inches long (what he measured at the pediatrician at his two-month appointment. He's definitely longer now -- he's outgrown all of his sleepers).
Wearing 6-9 month clothes, and 9-12 month sleepers. He is both long and chunky.
Wearing size three diapers.
Still rocking a FULL head of dark hair that sticks straight out when dry and is curly when wet. It is his trademark.
Is still exclusively breastfeeding -- we love this sweet time together.
Has, up to this point, been a pretty terrible sleeper. He rarely fusses...he just fights sleep like his mortal enemy. BUT --
Last night and the night before, he went down between 8:30 and 9:30, woke briefly at midnight (we didn't have to pick him up), and then woke to eat at 5! WOW! In other words, he slept through the night! Even better, after that early morning feeding, he went back to sleep in our bed until 8. He has also been napping a bit better. I'm holding all of this progress lightly, as I'm sure we can go right back to our waking-every-three-hours routine at any moment, but for right now, the sleep has been wonderful.
Ford is also:
Sleeping in his crib in his room, without us. I was such a chicken about putting him in his own room, so for the first three months, we either slept in his room with him, or put him in a bassinette in our room. After getting over the separation hump (my issue entirely; he's fine), we are all sleeping better.
Working on sitting up...he is staying in the bumbo for longer and longer periods. He looks so funny in his bumbo...with a booty as big as his, it's a tight squeeze.
Working TIRELESSLY to suck his thumb. We are all dying for him to reach this milestone, as it is the primary robber of our sleep. He wakes himself up hunting for Thumbkins. I realize that someday I will wish he didn't suck his thumb, but right now, I am grateful for anything that helps him self-soothe.
Ford loves:
His activity mat -- he can grab and hit his dangling toys at will.
His koala bear (a stuffed animal Santa brought him). It may be our lovey.
Playing with Daddy. Seriously...Daddy is his hero. He lights up when O comes home. I love it.
Especially loves sleeping on Daddy in the big boy bed. This is his reward if he has a good night of sleep in his crib, and it is by far his soundest sleep. He loves snuggling with his dad.
Talking! He coos, squeals and talks to me all day long. I love it. He is most vocal in the morning. I put him in his bouncy seat in the bathroom while I shower and dress, and he talks and laughs to me the whole time.
For us to read to him -- particularly "Imagine That!" and "I am a Bunny." He grins as soon as I open them up. It's funny though -- some books garner no reaction from him, but these two are surefire hits.
Riding in the car -- thank heaven, from day one, this boy has loved his car seat, as long at it is in motion...not in motion -- totally different story.
His swing. Even though he's almost too big for it, if I can't get him to sleep, this is my almost foolproof last resort.
His balloon mobile over his changing table. This mobile was seriously the best money I've ever spent. His first smile and his first laugh were both at his balloons. It makes diaper changing a pleasant experience.
Singing songs -- we like "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes," "Itsy Bitsy Spider," and all the silly songs our daddy makes up.
Bath time. He doesn't play in the bath...he is very mellow and often falls asleep. It's hilarious.
Ford is ambivalent about:
Tummy time. He used to hate it, but now he'll tolerate it.
Rolling over. He tries it every now and then, but he's not really committed to it. As heavy as he is, I think it'll be a while before we meet this milestone.
Lotion time. We do it every night, and he tolerates it, but it's not his favorite. He knows he gets to nurse afterward, so he takes it.
The pacifier. He's such a comfort sucker (he'd nurse all day long if I'd let him), so I thought he'd love the paci, but he only takes it sometimes.
Ford does NOT love:
Being swaddled. We gave in and weaned him from the swaddle last week, and after a few rough nights, he's sleeping much better. He sleeps spread-eagle now, so clearly he wanted to lose the swaddle.
Having his nose suctioned. Unfortunately, a necessity for a winter baby. This is really the only time he cries.
I know every mother says this, but Ford really is the sweetest, most wonderful baby boy. I'm a fool for his precious laughs and smiles. He is his daddy's delight. We are so grateful for this precious blessing!
No comments:
Post a Comment