Thursday, March 10, 2011

Do They Make Rogaine for Babies?

When Ford was born, he had an impressive head of dark hair.


As the days passed, it only grew more impressive.



At first, I thought it would fall out in a few weeks.  I even scrubbed it with a (soft) brush when I washed it every night, to "help" it fall out.  I thought I was prepared for my baby to be bald.



But as the weeks and months passed with nary a hair shed, I grew more and more attached to Ford's lovely locks.  They became his trademark -- a source of admiration wherever he went.  He didn't wear a hat all winter, just to keep the hair on display.  I washed it and played with the curls every night.  At his baptism, the congregation gave a collective gasp as they saw his shiny mane poised above the baptismal font. (Okay, not really, but lots and lots of people commented that they'd never seen a baby with so much hair.) 





In short, I grew very proud of my son's hair.  And pride goeth before a fall.  Or in this case...massive falling-out. Yes, at almost five months, we are finally losing it.  I can no longer deny it.  Little dark hairs cover his swing, crib, playmat, Mommy's sweater, etc.  He appears to have a combover, as some still-long spots are covering the now-balding patches.  He has a bonified receding hairline.  And while new hair is clearly coming in, we're going to have a bald, or at least closely cropped phase.  I'm so sad about it.

For those of you that are interested, it does appear that the new growth is still brown.  And I do find it mildly amusing that Ford's balding is coinciding with my post-partum hair loss, which is now at its peak.  Yes, it's molting season at the Price house.  Let's hope it doesn't spread to Oscar -- his might not grow back!

No comments:

Post a Comment