This month has been so much fun. While I have really, in sum, loved being a mother, the first few months were long and hard. This month has been the first where I can truthfully say the time has flown. I'm not sure why -- I think it is a combination of warmer weather, a more playful and interactive Ford, better sleeping (at least sometimes), and just a sense that as he grows older and bigger, he's not quite so terrifying or breakable. While I am less panicked most of the time, I still feel as though just as soon as I get a handle on Ford and his routine, everything changes again, and I have to start learning all over again. But, this month has been a gift, and every day with our little buddy is better than the last.
Some Ford info broken down by category:
Stats:
We don't go to the pediatrician for a check up this month, so my stats are merely guesses. He weighed about 20.5 lbs on our scale this morning. He's definitely longer than last month, as his clothes are shorter on him, but I don't know his exact measurement.
| I'm not fat! Some people just don't appreciate a full figure. |
He's still teething, unfortunately. I can feel the tip of one on the bottom, and his lower gums are usually pretty swollen, but as I haven't seen much of a tooth, I think we are far from the end of the teething wars. It's not fun for anyone. I can't find anything that seems to really help. The past few nights, we've given him tylenol before bed, and that seems to help him rest better, as they hurt most at night.
Eating:
Ford is still nursing exclusively. I really, really love it, and I think he does too. If he sleeps through the night (more on that below!), then he nurses four good times a day, with maybe a snack or two in between. :) Sometimes he needs just a little something to settle down for his nap. I know we should start real food soon, but I just so enjoy nursing, and it seems to satisfy Ford for now. Nursing can be hard and is not for everyone, but it has been a wonderful blessing for us, and I'm very grateful that we've been able to do it.
For a while, he wouldn't take a bottle at all, but he has since taken a couple from Oscar...while I'm wasn't that concerned about the bottle, I am glad he will take one so that I can leave him without worrying that Oscar/my mother/whoever will be left without recourse when Hungry Ford attacks.
Wearing:
Finally, we're getting to wear some cute spring clothes! I've loved dressing Ford up in this wonderful warm weather. He's such a handsome fellow, if I do say so myself.
| Wearing my ducks. Uncle Adam wore this when he was little. Wonder if it was this snug on him, too? |
| All decked out for lunch with my Aunt Bunny. Gotta look sharp for Aunt Bunny. |
| There's a frog on my shirt, Mommy! |
He's still in at least 12 month regular clothes...sometimes 18 month, depending on how the brand runs. His 12-18 month sleepers still fit, but I can't put them in the dryer. His 18-24 month sleepers fit perfectly. I am a little worried about finding footed sleepers for him as he grows. I've only been able to find 18-24 month online, and I don't know what I'm going to do when he outgrows those. He's only five months old -- we can't wear big boy pajamas yet!
Sleeping:
On the sleep front, Ford always seems to take us to the very, very tip of the brink, and then draw back. I'm always grateful for the reprieve; just wish they weren't such a long time coming. Last Friday, I was at the end of my rope. Teething, daylight savings time, and just general fussiness had robbed us of most of our nighttime sleep and all of our naps for days. By the time O arrived home from work on Friday afternoon, Ford and I were both desperate. You should have seen him -- he was dressed in a white undershirt, covered in drool, hair everywhere, looking wild-eyed...and I wasn't much better.
We went to bed Friday night, and even though Ford was asleep, I couldn't join him in peaceful slumber, as I was certain I'd hear him wail at any moment. (That kind of twitchiness will make you crazy, y'all.) Imagine our joy when the new morning revealed a new Ford -- one who had slept peacefully all night in his crib. When I went in to pick him up, you would have thought he'd cured cancer from the way I praised him. He's done it the past three nights, and we are both holding our breath and praying this is our new norm.
Our "routine" (I hesitate to even say that; as soon as I think we have a schedule of sorts, he totally throws it) is that he gets up around 7-7:30, goes back down for a nap around 9, naps 45 minutes or so (hooray for showers for Mommy!), then naps from 12:30ish until 2:30 or 3. I like for his "big" nap to last as long as possible, so he won't doze in the late afternoon. I rarely win this battle, but if I can get two hours, I am very happy. If his big nap isn't long enough, we have a little catnap in the late afternoon. We start bath at 7, and he's been in bed by 7:45 the past few nights. I think the early bedtime helps him settle down. In between naps, we nurse, play, go for strolls, read books, etc.
| When all else fails, a stroll in the BOB sometimes does me in. |
| I still love the big boy bed the best. |
Doing:
Ford has learned all kinds of new tricks this month! In no particular order:
He loves his exersaucer now, and he can really make all the toys on it work!
Loves his Johnny Jump Up.
Still loves his playmat.
Still trying to roll over. He gets so, so close, but that big booty just won't go over.
Getting so close to sitting up on his own. He can do it for a few seconds, especially if he is on a soft surface. He can also grab toys from the sitting position.
| What's the big deal, Mommy? So I'm sitting up? Go get me a toy! |
Still doesn't love tummy time, although today, while on his tummy, he started moving his legs in the crawling motion. Very exciting!
Reaching for people and things he wants while being held. He's reached for me (made this Mommy's year), reached for Daddy (ditto), and reaches for toys he wants while I'm holding him.
Loves going for strolls in the BOB. We go for snacks in downtown Edgewood, to the park, and to visit our friends in the neighborhood. I am so glad we live in a walkable area. It helps shorten otherwise long afternoons.
Still talks all the time. His favorite sounds are blowing raspberries, shrieks, and a variety of consonant-vowel babbles. He said "ba-ba-ba" for me once the other day, but hasn't done it since. As I've lamented before, he always does the coolest tricks when I'm the only witness!
Loves singing songs and dancing/bouncing. We love "Yankee Doodle," "The Wheels on the Bus," any of the songs on our exersaucer, and still anything Daddy composes.
His hair is still falling out and picking up the pace. Poor guy, he looks pretty funny right now, at least in the coiffure department.
| What's so funny, Mama? |
| Seriously. Stop. LAUGHING. |
Bathtime, especially lotion time (who would have thought it?) is still a hit.
I know every mommy says this, but my little boy really is just so precious. We sure do love him, and with the smiles and laughs he's given us this month, I sometimes think he likes us too!
| You guys really aren't so bad! |
Great update! Ford was so handsome for his lunch date with me. Made my day! We'll do it again soon. XOXO, Aunt Bunny
ReplyDelete