Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Could Someone Please Direct Me to the Big & Tall Section?

Ford had an excellent weigh-in at the pediatrician this week.  He weighed 21 pounds (95th percentile) and was 28 inches (93rd percentile) long.  It appears that head size is the only measurement in which our big and tall boy takes after his parents.  His head measured a measly 17 inches around (40th percentile), so Ford does have a tiny head like his mom and dad.  Other than that, we have no idea where he came from.

The pediatrician was pleased with Ford's growth and progress.  He said that he believed the worst of Ford's acid reflux should be behind us, as he now spends a lot of his waking time upright.  He said we should still continue the Prilosec (1.5mL twice a day), but that is a low dose, and his symptoms should continue to abate.  He also said that Ford's one meal of solids a day (at dinnertime) was just fine and that he should still get most of his nutrition from milk until he's around a year. 

On the sleep front, the doctor said that teething, bad dreams, or just plain lonesomeness are the likely culprits for Ford's midnight scream sessions (not his reflux, since he is fine during the day), and that we are doing the right things to deal with them.  He was pleased that Ford can and does fall asleep on his own in his bed and said that is the most important thing about sleep to teach him.  He said that Ford will eventually outgrow his nightime howlings.  Despite the fact that we've had one miserable night already this week, I'm optimistic he's right.  He slept through the night Saturday night, had a rough night Sunday night, but slept through the night again last night.  Looking back over the past few weeks, I can (with much caution) say I believe we are slowly (slowly) trending toward fewer and shorter wakings and more full nights of sleep.  Amen and Hallelujah! 

I've already posted about most of Ford's latest tricks, but here's a recap.  At six months, Ford is:

-- Nursing four solid times a day, and maybe briefly at night to soothe back to sleep (but he often makes it through the night without nursing)

-- Eating a snack of solids around 5 p.m.  I don't really worry about how much he takes; I'm more about him learning different tastes and textures.  Some days he eats several tablespoons full; other days just a few bites.  He likes applesauce, sweet potatoes, avocado, rice cereal, and sweet potato puffs...in other words, everything I've offered.

-- Rolling over in both directions, although he hasn't done a 360 degree turn yet -- just over and back.

-- Standing with support.  He can't pull himself up yet, though.

-- Sitting independently, but can't yet pull himself to sitting.

-- Loves to sing songs.  I swear he dances around sometimes.

-- Makes constant noise...shrieks (oh, Mommy's head), gurgles, coos and babbles.  Sometimes I'm sure he's saying "Hey!"

-- Loves to roll on his playmat, and bounce and work in his exersaucer and Johnny Jump Up.

-- Likes to sit in his highchair at the table with us while we eat.  I put some puffs on his tray to play with while we eat.  I think he's figuring out how to pick them up.

-- Loves to swing.

-- Daddy is still our hero.  My mom calls O "Circus", because by the way Ford reacts to his arrival, you'd think a three-ring circus just walked through the door.

-- Naps decently well.  During the week, he wakes up around 6:30.  He usually goes down for morning nap between 8:30 and 9 and wakes between 9:30 and 10.  He's back down for afternoon nap between 12 and 1 and awake again between 2 and 3.  He sometimes takes an afternoon catnap, especially if I hold him while he sleeps or we go for a stroll.  Weekends are a napping disaster because the aforementioned Circus is home.  We cannot possibly sleep with Circus around.

-- Laughs uproariously -- always at something new and unexpected.  His laughs are definitely one of the high points of my vocation.

Happy Six Months, Little Buddy!  You are the coolest kid ever, and we love you SO much!

No comments:

Post a Comment