Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Times, They are A-Changin'

More than a few things have changed around here since October 17, 2010.  Some have been expected, others have been surprising.  I've listed some of the unexpected post-Ford developments below, along with a few recent photos to keep this post interesting.

1.  I've acquired a near-constant bounce.  It's like a mommy-nervous tic.  With or without the Fordman, I'm bouncing.


Does that bounce help your reflexes, Mama?  You'd better catch me when I topple over in a minute!

2.  Frozen food is totally acceptable, even desirable.  Pre-Ford, we rarely ate out of the freezer in this house.  Even when I was working long hours, I almost always came home and prepared a fresh meal, even if it was just grilled cheese and tomato soup.  Now, I've welcomed Stouffer's into my home with open arms.

Yo, Mama!  Give me some of that lasagna!

3.  Once a perfectionist when it came to my person, I now catch myself thinking things like, "Oh, that's just a little spit up.  No need to change shirts", or "Well, it's a little tee-tee, but it still smells okay...I can wear it."  Oh dear.  This one of which I'm less proud.

Who cares what you look like, Mama?  No one's looking at you while I'm around anyway!

4.  I become anxious and twitchy when I hear a child crying, even if mine is not with me.  I heard a child crying in the grocery store last week, and I actually broke a sweat, even though I knew my child was safely at home asleep with his daddy.  Wonder how long this will last?

Geez, Mama, take a chill pill.  I'm fine.

5.   Hell hath no fury like a mother when her child's nap is interrupted.  I don't believe I'm prone to sudden, irrational rage, but let something or someone appear to disturb Ford's sleep (which is hard to come by as it is), and I become truly terrifying. 


Can't nap, Mama.  Gotta practice my standing up!

6.  I can barely wear high heels anymore, as I mentioned earlier.  This is simultaneously sad and amusing.  Pre-parenthood, I was nearly always sharply shod.  I had to wear heels to work anyway, so I was accustomed to having them on all the time.  The third-trimester waddle banished them from my wardrobe, and they just haven't been back since.  The few times I have worn heels, I have been as wobbly as a little girl playing dress-up.  Actually, five-year-old Emily playing in her mommy's heels was probably more poised in pumps than I am now.  The last thing I want to be when lugging around my bohemoth child is unsteady, so I really haven't pushed the issue.  Someday I'll shed these running shoes, right? 


Daddy seems to have no trouble holding me.
 

And who're you calling "bohemoth," anyway?  Quit gabbing and focus.
 




















7.  We are now card-carrying members of the Early Bird Special Club.  We eat dinner
somewhere between 5:30 and 6:15.  This is especially funny when we go out, as we are seated in an empty restaurant, and finish our meal before any other diners arrive.  The Ford-man's bedtime ritual starts around 7:00, and he goes down between 7:30 and 8:00.  Since he's not totally reliable on the bedtime front yet (I'd say one night in four we are pacing and rocking and cajoling him into slumber until about 9 or 10), I haven't been brave enough to attempt to serve dinner after he goes to bed.  Oh well, I supposed the early dinner is better for our metabolism...although I imagine the post-Ford-bedtime ice cream sandwich habit I've developed is not.

I don't care how many Klondike bars you eat, Mama...I'll still love you.





No comments:

Post a Comment